I grew up with a mother that is totally obsessed with flowers who has the most amazing flower gardens that are so relaxing to go and enjoy. Her and I share some traits in common- mostly our creativity that we hate taking credit for, yet are very different in many other ways. I tend to be more social, take on more than I can chew a lot of times, and keep myself busy, to the point that I schedule downtime into my days- which in the summer somehow includes the wonderful, therapeutic pulling of weeds out of my own garden (I guess that's a trait from my mom). Though we have our differences, our decorating and flowers always bring us back together.
Last summer, I bought a little old house on a ravine in Stillwater. Prime location and a PROJECT! When I moved in, half the yard was dead from the dry end of summer, and I was more focused on getting the inside of the house liveable, rather than focusing on the dead plants outside. So, once spring hit this year, I figured I could venture out of the house I've made my own on the inside, and figure out what exactly was in this yard on the outside. I called on my neighbor to help me figure out what was in the yard -her best friend lived in my house before I did and she is a plant lover, so I figured it'd be a good start. Though she's had some insight, there have been multiple pictures sent to my mom asking what the flowers are, researching online, and digging of new gardens.
A few years back I helped a friend of mine with flowers for her wedding. She went to the farmers market the morning of and we stuffed flower into mason jars and it looked great!
I also helped my mom with my cousin's outdoor wedding a couple years ago... We needed a toss bouquet, so I went searching the ditch and field for flowers then my mom helped me assemble- don't think it went too bad!
I have found that I end up with bunches of flowers coming home from the grocery store, make random stops at the garden centers, and somehow think I am slightly following in the footsteps of my mother.
So with this summer, comes a new adventure! Or maybe multiple, which I thought could maybe result in some fun blogging....
Adventure #1 Figure out your yard and make it that magical place I've been wanting forever!
Adventure #2 Help my mom with the master challenge of doing all of the flowers for my second cousin's wedding.
Adventure #3 Plan out some centerpieces for my best friends rehearsal dinner at the end of the summer.
So here goes the great flower adventure!



No comments:
Post a Comment